Sunday 16 December 2007

My Boys Update... Alex

I am still trying to get the school to apply creams to Alex when he has an eczema flare up. I had a meeting with the head on the 7th September.. I had the head of Medications Administrations from Cheshire County Council with me.
This meeting was AWFUL! They were very defensive so they were quite aggressive and closed to the request! (this did not go unnoticed by the lady from the council!!)
It was agreed that they would get in touch with the school nurse in order to get Alex trained to put on his own cream!!!(He is 5!!!)They said that this would be in about 2weeks.
Well I had that meeting 10th DECEMBER 2007!!! only took 3 months!!!!
To add insult to injury the nurse was not aware of the issue and to him this was just a standard check!!(so he was not happy about this!)
Suffice to say he finds it bizarre that they are being so stubborn!! He is going to give Alex 3 sessions to "train him" but has said that he is only doing this to "tick that box" so we can then say we have met the school 1/2 way... they then have to proof why they cant do it (and staff shortage is not an excuse as the policies clearly state that they have exhaust every avenue in order to provide for the needs of the children in school!!! if they don't it then becomes a case for DISCRIMINATION.
So again ... watch this space!

1 comment:

Tassy said...

I really don't understand this and it really infuriates me!!I work in a secondary school, and we have special needs pupils, and one needs support constantly, to walk, to go up the stairs and to eat. Support staff do it, and there is even a midday support to supervise her when she is eating and wots the big deal with applying the cream with a 5 year old! I am so glad you are standing up for this!My heart goes out to you.X